Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blogging New York...Day Five...


Today was my last full day in New York, and it was a good one. For the Yankee haters out there, you may want to stop reading now...because really, that's all today was about. I get why you don't like them. I'm okay with it. But I've loved them pretty much my whole life, and it was awesome to finally get to see them play in New York. 

I took my subway-mastery with me and actually transferred from one train to another - both ways!! YES!! I rule. I loved hearing the announcement that we'd arrived at Yankee Stadium. I stepped out into the station, saw the sign and pretty much couldn't stop smiling until I got home.

I really don't have any crazy stories to share from today...it was just all too good and too fun. The Yankees, wearing their trademark pinstripes, won and Mariano Rivera - my all-time favorite Yankee - saved the game. Hearing Enter Sandman by Metallica when they opened the bullpen doors for him to enter the game in the bottom of the 9th was awesome, and I must admit, I was a little bit giddy.

It was a gorgeous day out, and the fans were great. A couple of people were kind enough to take my picture so I could have photos of myself in the stadium. Really, everyone was so nice. I will say that the grilled hot dog didn't even come close to the grilled home run dog at AT&T Park in San Francisco, but it was still tasty. The other bummer was their choice in soda: PEPSI. Yuck. I had water. Other than that, everything was good. 

Entering and wandering around Yankee Stadium is sort of like being at Disneyland. There are people everywhere - literally like every 3 feet - holding signs asking how they can help you. There are also people sweeping up the hallways to keep the Disney, er, Yankee magic in tact. There's a lot that I didn't see just because there simply wasn't time, but it's pretty cool. I still like AT&T better overall because it's the old style ball park, and let's face it, the view is unbeatable, but it was awesome to finally see The Bronx Bombers play in their home land.


By the way, that's Derek Jeter on the left and Nick Swisher on the right. Nick is absolutely one of the funniest men in baseball and Derek is, well, he's Derek Jeter. And that's enough.

It was also very cool to hear New York, New York played at the end of the game, and I sat and listened to several choruses. I left the stadium after a while and found that everyone was taking the subway out of The Bronx, so I stepped into the nearby McDonald's to wait. And to get a Coke, because by that time, I needed one! And really, I think we all know McDonald's has the best Coke.

I managed to waste enough time and had a very empty train to take back to the hotel. My feet were never so happy to get back and stop moving. I've really given them a beating this week and may give them a nice soak later this evening. 

Tomorrow's my last day in the city that never sleeps, and I'm meeting another old friend for breakfast at the very famous Carnegie Deli. Many folks told me I needed to check this place out, but it didn't really interest me because I'm not a big sandwich fan...but breakfast? Well, that's a whole new game. I mean, as long as there's bacon, how could it be bad?

Oh good...just got a case of the hiccups...

Anyway...it's been an amazing week, and I'll wrap it all up when I get home tomorrow night. I will definitely be back New York. You've totally won me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment