Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Enough with the tailgating!


Be advised...I'm about to go on a rant. I've had just about enough of the tailgating.

















No. Not THAT kind of tailgating.THIS kind...


















Every day I get this. Without fail. Note the two empty lanes to the left of the tailgater - in case you are unsure, the tailgater is the silver car behind the blue van. He could move to the left, but is apparently magnetically drawn to the blue van. There's just no reason for this!!

Driving home tonight, I was tailgated by the ugliest car ever made. The Pontiac Aztek. And it was aggressive. If you don't believe me, please see the exhibit to the right...U-G-L-Y...and it ain't got no alibi.

When I was able to move over safely I did. And I expected this guy to just fly by me since he'd been 4.5 inches from my bumper for 10 minutes. But no. He just lolly-gagged his way on by. That is even more annoying than the tailgating!! 

My feeling is, if you're so much more important than me, and in such a huge hurry that you have to ride my bumper for miles, then when I move, you better just leave me in the dust. I can tell you that 9 times of 10, that doesn't happen. It's wrong. SO wrong.

My absolute favorite tailgating moment happens many mornings when I drive to work. A friend and I sometimes carpool, and therefore, as crazy as it sounds, often ride in the carpool lane. I can't even articulate how many times we're tailgated by a NON-carpooler in that lane. I refuse to move for those people. They are illegal in my lane and should not get to just go. Many times they'll jerk around me and whip right back in front, all illegal and annoying. And CHiPs is NEVER around when that happens. You KNOW that if I drove solo in the carpool lane that a ticket would be issued in about 37 seconds.

Side note...that just reminded me of Jason Derulo's Ridin' Solo...okay, back to my rant...

I just really don't get the whole tailgating thing. Do the tailgaters really think they're winning by getting that close to me? Do they think they're intimidating me? Are they really that much more important? Is their car that much cooler? I can tell you that if it's the Pontiac Aztek, the answer to that last one is a resounding NO.

I hope none of you out there are tailgaters. If you are, please enlighten me on why this is such a fun activity...if you dare...

3 comments:

  1. You just hit on my number one pet peeve. And it seems to be getting more and more common, and happening on city streets too - not just the freeway.
    I don't know if they have no concept of personal space or safety or ???, but it's very annoying.
    I usually move over at the earliest opportunity; although, if the speed limit's 55 and I'm going 70 - I usually won't pull over.
    To me - it's more of a safety thing than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally agree! it's gotten completely out of hand...everyone's in a huge hurry and teetering on the edge of sanity in the process...i don't know why everyone can't just be perfect drivers like us? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic! I could go on all day about the way people drive.

    Unless you're a road boulder, having someone tailgate you is just wrong! But I think it's an intimidation thing. People feel safe and powerful in their cars, so those that can never intimidate you face-to-face will try to do so in their cars. They don't want to go faster, they just want to intimidate. Case-in-point, they don't speed up when you move right.

    While we're on the subject of driving and pet peeves... you ever see someone stop at a red light and leave about 50 feet of empty space in front of them? Then they spend the whole red light rolling forward 2 feet, stopping, waiting, rolling another 2 feet, stopping, waiting, etc. What's up with that? Are they hyperactive? Somebody please explain it to me.

    (Jenna)

    ReplyDelete