Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Of patty melts, Patty and some Barenaked Ladies


Finding a good patty melt is not the easiest of tasks. In fact, it's been a long time since I had a good one. Or, it had been until Monday night when I discovered Main Street Burgers in Los Gatos. A friend and I came upon this place purely by accident (and Google Maps' list of restaurants), and it did not disappoint. Not only was the patty melt delish, with its not-too-overwhelming grilled onions and toasty rye bread, but the sweet potato fries were awesome! Oh, and they had Coke. So yeah. Main Street Burgers? You rock! 


While dining at said establishment, we had a nice brush with fame with San Jose Shark Patrick Marleau and his family, and I have to say, SO NICE!! All of them. We actually had a fun interaction with Mrs. Marleau and one of their kids - who actually tossed, no, hurled is a better word, yes, he hurled a spoon in the vicinity of my friend which prompted Mr. Marleau to turn quickly and apologize. There was no damage done - the spoon WAS plastic and didn't actually hit anyone. It's always nice to see famous folks in regular situations, being regular and doing the same things regular people do. Because you know what? They ARE regular people. The fact that Patrick Marleau has an Olympic gold medal, is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, a former Shark captain and a fan favorite at the Shark Tank is just gravy. Thanks Patrick and family for being so nice and normal!!


From dinner we ventured to the Mountain Winery for the Barenaked Ladies concert. For those BNL affecianados, you know that there was a major change in the last two years when Steven Page left the band, changing the sound of the Ladies forever. Before Monday I'd seen the band three times, and was, on all occasions, greatly entertained by the humor and excellent music. I was concerned that some of that left with Steven, and I was right. Although, they were still good...just different. And some of the songs just weren't the same. They were still funny...especially the drummer, Tyler, and so we were definitely entertained. And they are all amazing musicians, so the music was great, but Steven's voice was definitely missed. I'm not a huge fan of the new album...it's just not as fun, but I get it. You can't keep doing the same thing over and over again, and we're all getting older, and when that happens you think about things differently. Still, where the Ladies shined was on their older, sillier, upbeat songs. I can't hear "If I Had a Million Dollars" too many times. It's just a great song. And yes, I have always wanted a monkey. I'd probably go see them again, but I'd still wish for Steven's return.



Up next? Adam Lambert's Glam Nation tour in San Francisco on Friday night. I'm sure there will be a LOT to talk about after that outing!

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment