Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blogging New York...Day Four...


Today started with rock and roll, had a lot of mellow thrown in the middle and finished with a kick - a spicy Thai kick that is.

I knew I needed to take it easy today. The blisters on my feet told me so. I hadn't really anticipated blisters, but thankfully my hotel is right around the corner from a convenience store and they had some lovely bandages for me. Ahhh...

Now, back to today's adventures...

Yes, it's cliché, but I went to the Hard Rock Cafe for lunch today. I love the Hard Rock Cafe, and I'd been to the original New York one the only other day I was ever here - like 2002 maybe? Anyway, that one's gone and now there's a swanky new gigantic one in Times Square. Yes. I'm a tourist. Sue me. I love the Hard Rock because you never know what sort of tunes you're going to hear in there. Usually there are some I love, some I loathe and some that just make me laugh. Today I almost laughed out loud at my table when Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth came on. That was 100 kinds of awesome! And since you weren't there to enjoy it with me, I found the video on YouTube. You're welcome.


I toured around and saw some memorabilia, and that's always cool even if it's from people you don't like. It's even cooler when it's from someone you do like. It still doesn't compare to the first time I went to the Hard Rock Cafe in Vegas where I was blessed by the presence of Ice T and his cool blue eyes. That will always be my favorite Hard Rock experience. But, the food was good, and it was a good start to my rock and roll day.

From there, I walked two blocks to the St. James Theatre for the American Idiot show. For those of you that read this blog or know me at all, you know I saw the show in Berkeley when it premiered. It was extra fun to see it again on Broadway. It was just as good and even had a surprise at the end that wasn't there in Berkeley. Some of the staging was different, and there was even a tiny change in one of the songs, but it worked. And I loved it!

I don't think I need to tell you that there was some entertainment for me while waiting for the show to start. A couple of girls were sitting in the row behind me, and when I glanced, I guessed they were in the tween age group. Here's just a sample of what I heard:

"John Gallagher, Jr - I love you. Tony Vincent - I love you."

"Yeah, I wrote on Tony Vincent's wall...I'm not allowed to talk to him because she's in love with him and I can't talk to him...he gets up and drinks wine every morning. Yeah, he drinks a lot of wine...oh, I'm going to talk to him..."

"How much are those seats? Like a million dollars? I'd work my whole life if I could have those seats."

"If I made $1000 a month, I'd come to this every night."


I almost laughed out loud at that, as did the guy next to me who was there with his family. We laughed about the tweens and were equally amused by the pre-show entertainment. I learned he and his family were in from Los Angeles and are also going to the Yankee game tomorrow. Small world. 

Upon exiting the theatre, there was this great wall you could write on, and thousands before had done so, but I found a couple of blank spots and made myself known.


 
It was kinda fun to wait around for some of the cast after the show. Not everyone came out, but a few did and I got a few good pics...enjoy... 


As I wandered to the subway, I actually thought about going to see Twilight, but decided it might be a little lame since I could easily see that at home. So, I came back and kicked up my feet and perused the Internet and watched TV. Yeah. All things I could do at home too. Whatever.

I thought about going to dinner when I was reminded that anything and everything could be delivered to me in New York. This made my day since I can't get anything but pizza delivered at home. There were so many choices that I almost gave up, but finally settled on Thai. You can't go wrong with Thai. Ever. But then came the first big FAIL of my trip. I transposed the hotel's address and didn't realize it until the delivery guy called and I wasn't where he was. He didn't speak English, and try as I might, I couldn't get him to understand where I was, so I called the delivery company and they were nice enough to call the restaurant and send the driver to the right place. I felt like an idiot - an American Idiot? - but the company was very nice and about 20 minutes later, my delivery arrived. As you can see, I ordered way too much food, and there's no way I'm eating it all, but it was totally worth the wait. Now I'm just cranky that I can't order Thai anytime I want in San Jose. Lame. 

Finally, I'll leave you with two observations from my TV viewing this evening...

1 - As much as I love bacon, and cheese, this is just not appetizing.
2 - How could the original Ice Age be so good and the second (and wasn't there even a third?) be so bad? 

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I cracked up when I read about the delivery mishap. So funny! And yes - they should give us better delivery in SJ. Sombody tried it once about 5 or so years ago. It was a company that would drive to the restaurant, pick up your take-out and bring it to you (for a fee). Unfortunately, I think they went out of business. Thanks for blogging and letting us all "tag along" on your trip to NY. Observation #1 - yuck. Observation #2 - too true! (Jenna)

    ReplyDelete