Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blogging New York...Day Three...


First of all, let me assure you that my stealth mode still works in New York. I thought maybe that was just a California thing but no. People don't see me here either. Yeah. It's cool.

After getting home last night I ended up staying awake until somewhere around 2am - ugh, but only 11pm Cali time, so not horrible. What was horrible was waking up at 6am - yeah, that's 3am in California. That was not yay. And I was wide awake. So, I played online for a while, watched some TV and then fell back asleep around 8 for a couple of hours. I find nothing wrong with the morning nap.

Once I rolled out of bed for good, I hopped on the subway, you know, because I'm the master of it, and went uptown to Lincoln Center to meet my friend Mary at her office in The Sesame Workshop. No tour of the studio since that's elsewhere in town, but it's always fun to see where friends work. And I got a cool free t-shirt! Woo-hoo!!

Mary and I took a cab to the Shake Shack near Central Park and had a tasty lunch, peppered with entertainment. I'm not a wine drinker, but even I found it a little strange that this place that serves burger and fries and shakes also serves wine. We were talking about it in line and being a bit snarky - I know you find that hard to believe, and Mary even asked the guy taking our order if people actually order it because we didn't get it. He said a lot of people order it, and I believe there was another snarky comment made, as we both rolled our eyes. We stepped away and someone right behind us ordered half a bottle of white wine and we almost fell over. We then saw said wine in tiny little plastic wine cups. They were, well, they were something...

The place was packed so we joined a couple of others at a larger table - very New York I'm told, and enjoyed a tasty feast of burgers and fries. It was really rather tasty. Across the street they were filming an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and we popped over when we finished eating and took a couple of snaps of Larry David. I've never watched the show, but still, kinda cool.

From there we wandered toward Central Park and then parted ways, as unfortunately, she had to return to work. I spent an hour or so just wandering through the park, and while I certainly didn't see all of it, it was really fun to just wander around, sit on a few benches and watch New Yorkers in motion. I have to say, there are more benches in that park than in every other park I've ever seen. Combined.

I ended up on 5th Avenue on the other side of the park and began walking back from whence I came earlier in the morning. I came upon the very cool Apple sign in the glass building, F.A.O. Schwartz and the big piano - which I was highly annoyed by due to the 457 kids and parents playing on it causing all sorts of ruckus. I also have to say, the bathroom in F.A.O Schwartz was seriously nasty. I was less than impressed. The toys though, were very cool. And yes, I'm twelve. Maybe eight. That's the only place I went into on 5th Avenue - believe it!

I made my way to the subway and came back to the hotel and crashed for a while before embarking on my evening at the theatre. And yeah, I spelled it "re" not "er". Deal with it. On my way to the theatre from the subway, I walked by a couple of folks selling the Obama Condom. I did not stop to find out what that scary thing might be. Let me just say, yikes.

Finally I made it to The Cort Theatre where I waited in line with everyone else for about 15 minutes before the doors opened. My first Broadway experience was good and annoying. The play, Fences, was fan-freaking-tastic!! Goodness. I really didn't know what it was about, but it was so good. Denzel Washington has always been one of my favorite actors, and he proved to me why. He was just great. And Viola Davis? Please. The woman is just awesome! All the actors were amazing. I laughed and I cried, and just loved it.

What I didn't love were the staff members I came in contact with at the theatre. Can you say rude? Man. We know you have rules, we get it, but come on. You don't have to yell at people or have a tone. There was a lot of tone!! And as we were exiting, they were basically pushing us out of the building, and as I was about to step through the door, the snippy woman outside literally closed it in my face. She almost got a slap, but I was too high from the experience of the play to actually take her on. Seriously though. RUDE!!

I debated taking the subway home, but thought better of it. Then I was going to take a cab, but it seemed involved so I started to walk. And it was much cooler than it had been during the day, so I figured I'd just head down the road and grab one somewhere between 48th and 29th. But after a while, I decided it was silly to get a cab so I kept walking. And walking. But several blisters later, I made it in and soaked my tootsies in a nice tub of foot scrub I'd procured from Lush on Sunday. 

All in all, another great day here in the city that never sleeps. Tomorrow? American Idiot.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the NY blog! Glad day 2 was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're having a good time - Jenna

    ReplyDelete