Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why I can't go to free concerts ever again



As I mentioned in my last post, I began my concert fiesta last week when Matt Nathanson stopped by San Jose's Music in the Park (photos above are from his sound check). My friend Jill and I got downtown early...we got a spot center stage, about 10 people back from the edge. We had our blankets, had our sunscreen...we were ready to go.

We didn't realize San Jose Idol was going to start the show...could have done without that, but the opening band wasn't bad.
MIGGS. Ever heard of them? I thought I had, but couldn't place why...then, upon doing a little Internet surfing, I discovered that they also opened for Mandy Moore at Music in the Park a couple of years ago. Weird. They weren't bad...until their lead singer invited everyone to get closer and basically rush the stage.

That's when it got ugly.


That's when I decided I hated
MIGGS.

Jill and I, along with our friend Veronnica, almost got trampled as people literally started pushing forward. We quickly packed up our blankets and got ourselves up off the ground. It was so uncool. Then someone threw a beer, and that was a treat. Security anyone?

We stood there in the middle for a bit, waiting for Matt to get on stage. When he came out, the pushing forward only got worse. In fact, somebody pushed someone behind us, she fell, we almost fell, and well, that's when I decided I hated Music in the Park and free concerts in general.

The idea is nice...free music for the people. I get it. But there just HAS to be better control over the crowd, and really, shouldn't they check to see if people even know who the artists are before they let them in the park? And is it really necessary for me to see drug paraphernalia all over the place? Seriously, SECURITY????


I'm pretty sure I have a bruise in the middle of my back from the couple that was standing behind me while we were still in the middle. They kept having "moments" and the girl kept turning around and whacking me with her back each time. And when she was facing forward, his hands were around her and they kept pushing me forward. I kept trying to push back a little, but to no avail.


After about 4 songs, I'd had enough. I moved out of the scene to the edge of the park. Jill and Veronnica followed. We could still hear of course, but couldn't see much. And there were still annoying drunk/druggie people everywhere. They couldn't have cared any less about the music.

It's not that I'm a concert snob...maybe it is, but I really don't think so. I really don't mind standing to hear a band/artist...I've done it multiple times at
The Fillmore in San Francisco. But I also know that everyone there PAID to be there and actually know who they're coming to see. They're not pushing and shoving and puffing on illegal drug pipes. Plus, at The Fillmore, there are apples...but that's a separate story...

Bottom line: Free concerts? Buh-bye. Done. Finito. The end. Evicted.


Lots of love for
Matt as always...but one other negative of these sorts of events, there is just not enough music from the artist. I needed much, much more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment