Saturday, July 4, 2009

Enough already!

As the news of Steve McNair's death unfolded today, I couldn't believe what I was reading. And I couldn't help but think of all the other celebrity deaths I'd read/heard about over the last few weeks. Too many I was thinking.

Then, I thought of my friend who lost her grandmother this week. And how that is so much more personal, but nothing you would have read about in your local paper or on CNN. I wondered how frustrating it must be for everyone who loses someone in this world to watch all the hoopla on the news about Michael Jackson or Farrah or Steve McNair. What about the other 149,999 people who died today (per WikiAnswers, an average of 150,000 people die in our world each day)? Where are their stories? Or should we even know?

How much should we really know about people when they die? Is it really important for us, the public, to know about a celebrity's will? I soooo do not care! It has nothing to do with any of us. Why does our media push it on us? And why do I keep reading/listening? I'm contributing to the problem I just threw out there for you. I hate that.

I do get that celebrity is a part of our society, and I get that people want to know about them in both life and death. I just hope that as we're reading/watching about the 1.5 million who are trying to claw their way into Michael's memorial next week, we think about the 2 million others who have died since he did.

Frankly, at the end of the day, I'm just tired of all the dying. Celebrities, grandparents, soldiers, sons, daughters...enough already!

No comments:

Post a Comment