Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It'll be a day like this one...

...when the world caves in...when the world caves in...when the world caves in...

This line is from a Switchfoot song called The Blues, and while it's a bit dark, I thin
k it has some of the most telling lyrics about our world today...what we're doing...where we're going. Whenever it comes on my pod, I stop what I'm doing and listen to the words. I don't do that enough with music...but maybe that's because so few lyrics move me like these. Take a listen (or a read) and let me know what you think.

Ya know, Switchfoot has some of the best lyrics around...check out a few samples:
  • On Fire: I'm standing on the edge of me...standing on the edge of everything I've never been before
  • Redemption: With my fist down at your feet, I was running out of mysteries
  • Gone: She said he said live like no tomorrow...every day we borrow brings us one step closer to the edge (infinity)
I could pull a line out of every one of their songs. Just check 'em out...listen or read the lyrics online. Maybe you're already a fan...yay you!

As an added piece of Switchfoot info, I have seen them in concert eight times. If you haven't seen them, do it. They rock
hard in concert!!!

Matt Nathanson is another who has some amazing lyrics that I will stop in mid-stream and listen to...a few samples:
  • Little Victories: I'll be awful sometimes...weakened to my knees
  • All We Are: It's hard to change the way you lose if you think you've never won
  • Car Crash: I wanna feel the car crash, 'cause I'm dyin' on the inside
Oh, and Matt? Yeah. I've seen him five times in concert and met him twice (which, if you read this anti-blog often, you already knew...).

Whose lyrics do you stop and listen to no matter where you are? If you can't think of anyone, then you need to stop reading right now and go listen to some tunes!!! Get back to me...


No comments:

Post a Comment