Thursday, September 23, 2010

Who knew the doctor's office and pharmacy could be so entertaining?


While in San Francisco this week I was lucky enough to get my standard conference cold. Oh, the joy. Thankfully, my doctor was able to see me this afternoon and prescribe antibiotics and Codeine cough syrup. I'm definitely looking forward to sleeping through the night and getting exponentially better very soon. But of course, you know that's not why I'm writing...you know that nothing about me going to the doctor and the pharmacy could be that boring...

So, in a very unlike me fashion, I was 3 minutes late to the doctor's office and feeling a bit frantic in addition to dizzy and coughy and just basically icky. There were a few people in the office, and I began to write my name on the sign-in list as the nurse behind the counter talked loudly on the phone. While I was writing, she closed the glass causing a vase to fall - which I caught quickly. Clearly she closed the glass so no one could hear her call, but really, have you SEEN those glass windows? First of all, they don't completely close, and second of all, you can still hear everything a person is saying behind them. In this case, we heard the following:

"Scrotum? That's the name of the medicine? I've never heard of that. OH! No, I know what it is. [laughter] I thought you meant that was the name of the medicine. Okay..."

Others in the waiting room snickered, as did I, and then the conversation continued after she hung up...this little gem was offered to her fellow nurse or office worker:

"[laughter] Of course I know what a scrotum is. I've seen my husband's. And my dog's."

Seriously. I could NOT make this up. And yeah, I never expected to type that word once, much less twice...

While I continued to wait, I, and everyone else in the waiting room, got to hear a doctor basically ream out the same nurse for not calling on something. I felt really bad for her. I mean, we all make mistakes, but geez, it was completely unprofessional for this guy to be telling her about it when we could clearly all hear.

Finally, I got into the doctor's office and got my prescriptions, nothing extraordinary there, and then as I was leaving overheard the following:

"Okay, so you'll need to pee in the cup..."

I mean, is there no privacy in this place? Goodness.

I journeyed to the pharmacy where I turned in my prescriptions and waited. That's when I heard a song by The Outfield. Oh yes. The Outfield

Remember this one?

Wow. That took me WAY back. I strolled around the store as I listened then made my way back to the pharmacy to wait for my prescriptions. That's when the possibly inebriated, slightly scary man showed up. I'm not clear if he knew the guy behind the counter or not, but he walked up and did the fist bump thing with him, including saying "boom" and opening his hand after the bump. Wow. Then he proceeded to tell the guy his doctor had sent him an email telling him he'd taken care of everything as far as getting a prescription filled. Seemed normal enough, but the CVS guy couldn't find anything in the system, and the guy started to get agitated. He was seriously freaking out that the meds weren't there, and the poor guy told him he could call the doctor...even suggested that maybe they sent the prescription to another pharmacy. The guy was adamant that that just wasn't possible. The conversation went back and forth for five minutes or more until the poor CVS guy said he'd send the office a fax and see if they had any information. As the guy was ready to walk away he was muttering..."Yeah, it's supposed to be 90...it's gettin' bad..."

Special.

I finally got my meds and while waiting for the pharmacy consult, the gal who'd taken my info to start with turned to me and asked if I went to Westgate Church. Wow. Small tiny world.

By the time I got back to the car, I was exhausted from all the adventure and made my way home after getting some food. Now I'm full of chicken, taters and antibiotics and more than ready to get this day over with. I can only imagine what might happen tomorrow...

1 comment: