Friday, August 27, 2010

And then the drunk girl fell on me...


You just never know what you're going to find at a concert. Hopefully you'll find some great music and maybe a cute guy to sit next to who didn't happen to come with a cute girl - yeah, that's never actually happened to me. I'm just saying it might be something you HOPE happens. Maybe you'll find yourself shaking hands with the lead singer of your favorite band - yes, that did happen to me - or capturing a fun moment with film. What you hope you don't find is Drunky McDrunkerson suddenly appearing and attempting to sing and dance before falling on you. No. You hope to never find that.



I took in the Green River Ordinance / Switchfoot / Goo Goo Dolls show last night in Concord at the Sleep Train Pavilion. I'd never been there before and wow, it's WAY the heck out there. I thought the CSU East Bay Concord campus was far, but this is beyond that! FAR!

So things gets started and Green River Ordinance was great - my first time seeing them - and Switchfoot rocked our faces off like they always do - my 10th time seeing them. Seriously. Full on ROCK SHOW!!! No one was sitting next to me during GRO, but then a couple of teenage boys showed up for the 'foot, and they were perfectly nice - good, clean cut Switchfoot fans. And we watched. And we rocked. And then they left but returned for Goo Goo Dolls. And the Goo rocked - 3rd time seeing them - as they always do, and everything was going great. 

And then the drunk girl fell on me...

I'm not exactly sure where she came from, but my seat was on the end of the aisle in the front row of the section, and next to me, was a fairly big open space that led up the stairs. That's where she materialized, and at first, she was just taking some pictures or video and sort of swaying to the music. It seemed rather normal. 

And then...she fell...right into me, stepping on my foot in the process, dropping her camera, her big giant bag and whatever she was drinking - thankfully nothing spilled...probably because she already drank it all. So she crawled around on the ground trying to collect the crap that fell out of her bag and the kid next to me asked if he wanted me to get someone, and I told him we probably should, but then she popped back up like nothing happened and we both asked her if she's okay and she just smiles. And wow. She is DRUNK.

So we watched her as she took video of the stage and then, sort of leaned back and pointed the camera toward the sky and then the ground and back to the stage and wow. I can just imagine what her videos of the night must look like. And all along she's singing along - BADLY, and the teenagers and I are trying not to laugh because while it was totally sad that someone would let themselves get that drunk, it was also a little bit funny.

Between songs Drunky started whispering to me...something about being in love with someone for 11 years - maybe Johnny, the lead singer of the Goo, not sure - and how she'd been waiting forever for that night. And then she thrust her camera into my hands and leaned back against the rail like she wants me to take her picture. Yeah. I couldn't even figure out how to turn it on, but amazingly, she figured that out and so, I took a couple of pictures. She says, "I trust you. You're my girl." Oooookay. Sure. Why not? 

And then, I'm pretty sure she took some pictures of us sitting in the front row. That'll be fun for her later.

Her drunken videography, singing and swaying continued and more than once she dropped the camera. And oh yeah, she fell again too. Right into me. Again. At one point she just sat down, and I honestly couldn't believe no security folks came by during this whole episode. They'd been everywhere earlier in the night, but no. They were nowhere to be found.

When the concert ended, she dropped the bottles that probably contained her drinks of choice and wandered away. The kid sitting next to me was actually really nice, asking me if I was okay, and then I saw them pick up her containers and take them to her- and I think he actually took some video of Drunky, which I thought was hilarious. Before I left, I saw her in the bathroom and was thankful that she'd found her friends and that they didn't seem to be in the same shape she was. This girl could barely stand up, and while she did provide some entertainment, in the end, I just felt sad for her. 

I don't drink. I've never had anything alcoholic to drink. I'm not opposed to it, but I don't understand the excess of it. It seems perfectly fine to have a glass of wine or two, or maybe some sort of mixed drink or a beer, but I just don't get why you'd want to get so drunk that you don't even remember what you did. Or so drunk that you actually hurt yourself or someone else. I've seen numerous people in this state in my life and it's never made any sense. I get that people make stupid decisions, especially when they're young and think they're invincible, and maybe that's all this was. Maybe she woke up this morning with a wicked hangover and looked at her pictures and video and realized how bad off she was and vowed to never do it again. Maybe her friends told her what an idiot she was and how dangerous what she was doing was. Maybe she woke up thinking, "Hey. I wonder if that girl I fell on is okay?"

Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment