Wednesday, August 18, 2010

3 Trips in 14 Days + 10 Days and 2 Concerts

That's right. 3 trips. 14 days. And if you make it 24 days, it also included 2 concerts. So yeah, let's go with that. 24 days. 3 trips. 2 concerts.

Trip One - Denver

I think I was out of town for a total of 36 hours for this trip - yeah, it was fast. I flew in to surprise my stepfather for his 75th birthday, and also got to see my mom, a good friend, 2 stepsisters and their significant others and Chick-fil-A. Yes. Chick-fil-A was definitely part of the agenda. It was fast and furious, but all good. 

Trip Two - Chicago

This trip was just slightly longer than my trip to Denver. I actually stayed two whole nights to celebrate the marriage of two very dear friends. The weekend started with an hour and a half trip from O'Hare to the W Hotel where, after I finally arrived, I got a lovely 75 minute massage at Bliss. I met my friend there and we were able to catch up a bit before all the festivities really got started. Celebrating their marriage was fantastic in itself, but I also got to meet several friends I'd only had via Facebook before that weekend. That was incredibly fun, and my circle of people and places has expanded greatly. I seriously love Chicago and enjoyed roaming about the city in cabs, and even a little on foot. Although, I did curse Bon Jovi when I was attempting to check into my hotel because their 8 million fans were also checking in at the same time. I love Bon Jovi, but I did not enjoy them having a concert at Soldier Field the night I arrived. They hindered my progress at every turn. But I'm over it now and managed to refrain from singing Have a Nice Day to all of them as I walked past all the cabs they were hogging. The wedding celebration was fantastic and included a healthy dose of Rick Bayless' guacamole. The weekend was topped off by a celebration of meat served at the newlywed's apartment. Two words: bacon explosion. Two more words: 14-pound briskit. Yum and yummier. All in all a fantastic and beautiful weekend, celebrating two of my favorite people!

Trip Three - Boise

Yes. Boise. That's in Idaho. Where they grow the taters. It's like my mother ship. I'd never actually been to Idaho despite living in a neighboring state for a good portion of my life. This was another two night trip to celebrate the wedding of some crazy kids about to embark on their senior year at Boise State. And oh yeah, it was HOT!!! It's like the desert there, but I enjoyed seeing the Boise State campus and catching up with a former CSU colleague. I toured around town in a ginormous Jeep Commander, apparently that's what they consider a compact car in Boise. Anyway...the wedding was beautiful and a lot of fun and I had a great Idahoan adventure, a final highlight of which was seeing one of my oldest and dearest friends who just happened to be in town at the same time. So Idaho? Thanks for rounding out my three trips with joy.

Concert One - Adam Lambert

Oh yes. The Glam Nation Tour. This was hands down the hardest I've ever had to work to get concert tickets. When they first went on sale, my friend and I went online right on time and got nothing. NOTHING. I've never had that happen before, and needless to say, we were less than pleased. But my friend would not be defeated. She started searching on Craigslist and StubHub and OMG! The prices people were asking for $30-35 seats was inSANE!! Seriously. Like $150. We laughed and scoffed and got further irritated. But we would not be defeated and finally, about 10 days before the concert, the prices started to dive. But, the only option was two seats not together - and $17 in FedEx fees. Her ticket came from Seattle and mine from New Mexico. Really? Anyway...the concert was totally worth it, and in the end we were able to sit by each other. If you have the chance, see this kid in concert, because he totally delivers!!

Concert Two - Rob Thomas

The Mountain Winery in Saratoga has to be one of the most beautiful concert venues I've ever been to. Seeing Rob there on Sunday night was my second time visiting this summer, and I now feel that all musicians I love should play there...at least once each summer. Are you listening Matt Nathanson? Before Rob took the stage we were exposed to a, um, comedienne?, from Mix 106.5. Wow. We were embarrassed for her and were so very thankful when she finished. But it was all forgotten once Rob took the stage. He's such a phenomenal musician that all he'd really need to do is play and sing, but he's also freaking hilarious! And even though he throws a few F-bombs down, he's just entertaining. I can't wait to see him again - although, I hope the next time he's standing in front of the MB20 guys. It's time!!

So there it is. 24 days. 3 trips. 2 concerts. 1 tired Carrie! What's next?

1 musical
4 concerts
1 conference
1 visit by the mother

And that's all before November! Guess I'd better get some rest...





No comments:

Post a Comment