Saturday, January 9, 2010

Why isn't it okay that I don't want an iPhone?

So I purchased a Palm Pixi today and couldn't be happier. When I posted this status on Twitter and Facebook, a string of comments came quickly...mostly wondering why I didn't get an iPhone and letting me know that my choice was substandard. Apparently it's not okay to want a Palm. Apparently I'm subhuman if I don't want an iPhone or a Blackberry or even a Google Nexus or whatever that new phone is called. But mostly, it was about the iPhone. There were a few who liked my status or told me to go for it - thank you for that.

Is the iPhone cool? Of course it is. It's made by Apple. Despite my devotion to Apple, I don't actually have to own everything they make. And sorry, but having AT&T as my only provider option? No thanks. If the Sprint Network carried the iPhone, then we might be having a different discussion, but I don't know. I'm frankly just addicted to Palm.

I've had a Palm of some variety for more than 10 years. Yes. I was one of those geeks with the Palm Pilot way back when. I synched, I beamed, I learned the graffiti. It was a big thing when I moved to the Treo and combined two pieces of technology into one. It worked though. The Treo was a great tool, but not a great phone. The Centro, also made by Palm, my current phone, is both a great phone and a great tool. The Pixi is just the next best thing in my opinion.

Let me restate: IN MY OPINION.

Most of my friends have iPhones. Many that don't wish they did. I have zero issues with any of it. I just happen to prefer the Palm OS. Maybe it's because I want to be different. I don't know. Maybe I just like it. And maybe, just maybe, that's okay.

Note to self: Make Twitter and Facebook updates less attackable in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Nice.
    I'm glad you got something that makes you happy.
    It's startling, but not surprising, that reaction from others. Sometimes it's wonderfully ironic when people claiming to value individuality & nonconformity discourage others for being different...

    I understand why you like the Palm. I'm coming off a pretty intense Obsessive episode. I own an iPhone. I've had one for years. But, my baby steps of organizational planning were done on a Palm. It was glorious. So, I just got around to putting Graffiti on my iPhone. It appears much more difficult than imagined.

    For the last 2 weeks I have been obsessed, determined, & focused on finding a way to get Graffiti onto the iPhone. (this could be my greatest socially beneficial contribution to society). Since then, I have "jailbroken", "unlocked", "modded", "ra1n"-ed & "Sn0w"-ed my iPhone, with no luck.
    My phone can play any song ever performed anywhere, can flash in any color of the rainbow, & on any service provider on the globe, but it doesn't understand what I mean when I touch it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you figured out how to get the graffiti on the iphone! that is excellent. i'm kind of over the graffit now since i'm fast with the keyboard, but it was fun to use when i had my old palms.

    thanks for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I support your Phone purchase 100%. Why do people have to get all uppity about things they own that other people don't? Go Pixie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am loyal to Palm, but then, I work there :)

    ReplyDelete