Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blogging the Super Bowl Commercials

SUPER BOWL XLVI - THE COMMERCIALS

PRE-KICKOFF:

Hyundai - Eye of the Tiger: a little cheesy but I liked it; still didn't make me wanna buy one of their cars though...just proved to me that their employees can sing...sort of...

FIRST QUARTER:

Bud Light Platinum - Unveiling: Really? Kanye's music was the highlight and that's not saying a whole lot.

Audi - Vampires: Saw this one online earlier in the week; like the idea, but they should have had hotter vampires - Damon anyone? Still, it was clever but again, not sure it makes me wanna buy an Audi, no matter how bright the headlights are...

Giants get a safety. 2-0 Giants.

Pepsi - No Pepsi for You: LOVED King Elton...not sure who that singer was, but she was excellent! Pepsi always has good ads but they will never ever make me switch from Coke.

Hyundai - Cheetah: HA HA HA HA! That was funny. Is every ad going to have a big cat theme? Curious...

Giants score a touchdown. 9-0 Giants.

Bud Light Platinum - Building of People: Even if I drank beer I wouldn't drink this because their ads are LUH-AME. What possessed anyone to think those ads would make people want to drink that?

M&Ms - Naked: HA HA HA HA! Loved that! Brown was extra snarky and awesome.

Best Buy - Smart Phones: The Words with Friends part was funny. Cute ad. Nice to see all the inventors of the stuff we use every day with our phones.

Celebrity Apprentice - Promo: Blah. Why is this still a show?

Coke - Bears: LOVE the polars! And I love the Coke, so, WIN!

Chevy - End of the World: Love the Barry Manilow! Also, the dog was cute. Poor Dave. Liked it. Also, I now want a Twinki.

Bridgestone - Performance Football: Giddy up now D. Funny.

GoDaddy - Hot Model: This whole company should be banned from the planet. I just can't. Always tacky.

Lexus - Change Can't be Contained: Snooze.

Battleship - Movie: I can't believe I just had to sit through that. I'll never get that minute of my life back.

Top Five Advertisers (in my opinion): 

  1. M&Ms
  2. Hyundai
  3. Pepsi
  4. Coke
  5. Chevy

SECOND QUARTER:

Patriots kick a field goal. 9-3 Giants.

Budweiser - End of Prohibition: Anything with the Clydesdales is awesome. FACT. When the Dalmatian is added in, it's a complete win. The music from The Natural didn't hurt either.

Doritos - Dog & Cat: HA HA HA! That dog could not be cuter. And now I want Doritos.

Camaro - Graduation: I've seen this one before but it's pretty cute. And that Camaro's not too bad-looking either. Although I'd want it in a different color. Yellow? Really?

GE - Turbines: I think I just fell asleep. Wait, is this a GE ad or a Budweiser ad? I got confused after I woke up.

John Carter - Movie: No thank you.

TaxACT - Gotta Pee: This ad was cuter before I knew what it was for. Also, peeing in the pool is gross.

The Lorax - Movie: Definitely looks better than the other two movies they've advertised. Loved the book...not sure about the movie...still, the creatures look pretty good animated...

VW - Dog Exercise Program: Saw this earlier this week too and loved it. The dog is cute, and I love that he's motivated so he can chase the car. The bug's not bad looking either but the best part is the end in the Star Wars Cantina. HA!

America's Got Talent - Promo: Howard Stern? Gross. That just guaranteed I won't be watching that show.

H&M - Body Wear: Oh hello Mr. Beckham. Delicious. Also, swoon.

Coke - Bears part 2: Seriously, I LOVE the polars! Why don't I have any Coke in my house???

Chevy Sonic - Stunt Cars: Love the song! Cute idea. Not gonna buy the car though.

Star Wars 3D - Movie: I have no time for episodes 1, 2 or 3. Just tell me when the REAL movies start.

The Avengers - Movie: Can't WAIT to see this!!

Teleflora - Valentine's Day: Really? Cliché much?

Skechers - Dog Race: HA! Yes. That was good.

Kinect for XBox - NFL Play 60: Meh.

Cars.com - Confidence: Kinda clever but mostly creepy.

Doritos - Baby Slingshot: Another excellent offering! That's what you get for taunting, kid.

E*Trade - Baby: I'm tired of the baby. There. I said it.

GI Joe - Movie: Did we really need another one of these movies? No. We did not.

Patriots score a touchdown. 10-9 Patriots.

Top Five Advertisers (in my opinion):

  1. Doritos
  2. VW
  3. Coke
  4. H&M
  5. Skechers

HALFTIME

NFL - Millionaire: People are seriously delusional about what they'd be able to do with a million dollars. Lame.

Citibank - Financial Tools: Sorry, I fell asleep again.

Xfinity - Fastest House: Not a new ad. Sorta clever. I guess.

Round Table Pizza - Pepperoni: Pretty sure this is a regional ad and nothing about their pizza ever looks good to me.

America's Beverage Companies - Portions: Okay, so the beverage companies are trying to help us? Sure they are.

Citibank - Yardwork: Lazy husband pays kid to do yardwork? Whatever.

Toyota - Life in a Car: Nope. Still not buying your car.

Hulu - Hulubratory: Love Will Arnett. And Hulu's okay too.

Bud Light - LMFAO: Kinda funny.

Leno - Promo: Wow indeed Madonna. Wow indeed.

I'm not even going to waste my time ranking the halftime ads because they were all weak. I will, however, provide my opinion on Madonna's show...this was my running commentary to myself as I watched...enjoy...

  • Okay, Madonna is definitely a showman - show-woman? show-person?, no question about it. Not sure about all the warrior people at the beginning though and definitely not sure about her outfit. Still, she sounds great. Love the 'Vogue' light box things. That's always been one of my favorite songs of hers.
  • Never liked that 'Music' song. It's just kinda blah. And what was with the creepy guy on the wire? Did not like.
  • Okay, so LMFAO is actually performing with her? Weird. She dances a lot better than they do, that's for sure. 
  • Wait, did i just see Nikki Minaj?
  • Pom poms? Really? This went downhill fast. Madonna's older music is just so much better.
  • And there's Nikki. I just can't. And I don't even know who that other one is. I do know that I do NOT like this song. At all. Also, love is spelled L O V E, not L U V. 
  • OMG, Cee Lo leading the band? He's crazy. And I love him! See? The older music is just better!
  • Hmm...I wonder which groups will protest against her singing about prayer? You know someone will. Have always loved this song too.
  • Okay, the World Peace thing at the end was too much. Come on people. Overall, I give the performance a C. Very average.
The Voice - Promo: Betty White for the win!! So ready for this show to start again!

Detroit - Clint Eastwood: Umm, isn't Clint from California? Doesn't he know our economy is in a giant hole too? Oh right. No one cares about us. I forgot. Good job Detroit. I still don't want to buy any of your cars.

I take it back. The ad for The Voice wins halftime.

THIRD QUARTER:

Patriots score a touchdown. 17-9 Patriots.

Smash - Promo: I know a lot of people are excited about this show but I just can't get excited about it. And Katharine McPhee, you will NEVER sing that song like Christina did. Sorry.

NBC Bay Area - Promo: Clearly a regional ad. Didn't know this guy graduated from SJSU...hey, I learned something from TV!

Xfinity - Fastest House: Again? Blah.

Chase - Drew Brees: Cute.

Giants kick a field goal. 17-12 Patriots.

Fiat - Sexy Girl: OMG. Someone's kidding me, right? It is now confirmed that I will not be buying a FITA.

Pepsi Max - Coke Guy Wins: I'm tired of Coke vs. Pepsi. The fact is, people like what they like and that's that. Trying to make people believe that the Coke guy would sneak away to drink the Pepsi is just silly. Okay, stepping down from soap box.

Toyota - Reinvention: Still not buying your car. And I feel kinda annoyed by your ad.

Coke - Bears part 3: Yep. I still love them. And the added bonus of the penguin and the seal was very yay.

Oikos - John Stamos: So this yogurt makes some people taunt and some people head butt? Neat.

Century 21 - Famous People: Wow. So didn't get that. Am I supposed to be impressed by the famous people? I don't think I am.

Acura NSX - Seinfeld: Saw this one earlier too and loved it. Very clever. Especially the end. LENO! NEWMAN!

GE - Appliance Park: I would like to see the numbers for GE to understand what these ads did for them. Are they supposed to make me feel good about people working in the US? I'm just not getting the point.

Budweiser - Prohibition Ends part 2: Okay, kinda like it. Good music. Apparently Budweiser makes you dance and party and get excited about all sorts of things. Well okay then!

Bridgestone - Performance Basketball: Timmy D! One of my all-time favorites. I've always thought Bridgestone Tires were the best. Having Tim Duncan in the ad confirmed it.

The Voice - Promo: Give me this show already!

Giants kick a field goal. 17-15 Patriots.

NFL - History: Actually really liked that ad.

eBay - Jeans: Kinda cute, but mostly boring.

Toyota - Prius: Still not buying your cars. Did I say that already? Well, I meant it.

Jack in the Box - Bacon: Oh Jack. You're crazy. And now I want bacon.

Top Five Advertisers (in my opinion):

  1. Acura
  2. Budweiser
  3. Coke
  4. Bridgestone
  5. NFL


FOURTH QUARTER:

Honda - Ferris: Oh yeah. Saw this earlier in the week and it is excellent. Now I must watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off. And visit Chicago. I think it's only right.

Act of Valor - Movie: The only good part about this ad/movie is the Eminem song.

MetLife - Cartoons: I miss the old cartoons. Oh, this is about insurance? Okay.

Smash - Promo: This still isn't making me want to watch the show.

Hyundai - Bob: Another clever ad that doesn't make me want to buy your car.

Bud Light - Here We Go: Now that's the kind of clever Bud Light ad I've been waiting for. You go We Go.

KIA - Dreams: Clearly they only want guys to buy this car. They've succeeded. I will never buy this car.

CareerBuilder.com - Chimps: Cute. But haven't we seen enough of the chimps? I feel bored with them.

Comedy Thursdays - Promo: Lame.

Samsung Galaxy - Believe: It doesn't make me want to buy it but it does look kinda cool. And it was a clever ad. I've never understood the people that wait in line for the new Apple toys. I love Apple but I'm not camping out for it.

The Voice - Promo: GIVE IT!!

Cadillac - Green Hell: No thank you.

Swamp People - Promo: No guts. No gator. Well okay then.

GoDaddy - Internet Cloud: Seriously, why is this company still in business? I want to punch all of it in the face!

Awake - Promo: Never heard of this show but it looks kind of interesting.

Giants score a touchdown. 21-17 Giants.

GIANTS WIN!!


Top Three Advertisers - yeah, that's all I have for this quarter (in my opinion):

  1. Honda
  2. Bud Light
  3. Samsung Galaxy

I'm not sure I can pick a favorite, but M&Ms was definitely a good one, and I loved both Doritos ads. You really can't go wrong with Ferris. EVER. And Seinfeld proved he was still funny. And then there was VW...see? Too hard to pick just one!


What about you? What were your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment