Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blogging the Idols - Top 11

So one of my friends questioned today how I could make a fair assessment of a performance without watching the whole thing. My answer? I never claimed my critiques were fair.

So, if you were also wondering that, well, now you know. It's not about fair. It's about what I like and don't like. This is why I'm not actually a judge on the show. Sure, they asked me to be one, but I knew I'd throw things from my seat, so I politely declined.

My friend and I are in disagreement on this year's idols so far, but we both agree we'd like to vote Seacrest off the island. Where is THAT option for us?

Anyway...let's get on with it, shall we?

Number one: Casey - I Heard it Through the Grapevine
Oh dear. Casey's eyes are freaking me out, as is his hair. In fact, his whole performance is sorta freaking me out. I still like his voice, but not a fan of this. Yep. Fast forward.

Number two: Thia - Heat Wave
Ooo, liking it. And the outfit is cute. Eek. A little pitchy at the high end, but not horrid. Her ooo's were a little weird, but overall I liked it.
Number three: Jacob - You're All I Need to Get By
Okay, the background singers were a little weak to start with. I feel bored. I still like his voice too, but this isn't doing it for me. Uh huh. Fast forward.

Number four: Lauren - You Keep Me Hanging On
Okay, she was mumbling so much in the little video that I was already annoyed to start with. Enunciate sister! Do not like her dress. Yikes. Oh no. I'm not a fan of the faux flirting with the judges. She sounds better than she has in other weeks. Funny, the women seem to be more interesting to me this week than the men. Is that just me?

Number five: Stefano - Hello
Wait, he'd never heard the song? Huh? I'm leery. Oh. Oh my. No. Can't do it. It's not good. And a little scary. Fast forward...and go find Lionel Richie albums.
  • Side note: Do we really need to see and have conversations with the celebs in the audience? Time waster.
Number six: Haley - You've Really Got a Hold on Me
Oh. Oh wow. Where do I even start? Right. I start by fast forwarding. That was just...well...it wasn't good...

Number seven: Scotty - For Once In My Life
Again. He can sing, but I just don't like the country. And to country-fy Stevie Wonder? That hurt me. I couldn't listen to all of it. Sorry.

Number eight: Pia - All In Love Is Fair
I don't really have a lot to say about her. It's actually really good. She's clearly very comfortable in this genre, and there's no doubt she can sing. My favorite so far.

Number nine: Paul - The Tracks of My Tears
Well, that says it all doesn't it? "I can't sing it like Smokey." Not that anyone else could either of course. Okay, I just don't like his voice. That's the bottom line. And this is just bad. And now it's gone.

Number ten: Naima - Dancing in the Street
I don't like the outfit, but she sounds good. Yeah. She's rockin' it. The dancing was a little over the top, but I think she was definitely the best so far. And wait, I think my friend and I may actually agree! What?!

Number eleven: James - Livin' for the City
Ah, one of my favorite Stevie songs...let's see how it goes. Okay, he sounds great. Uh oh, I think my friend and I might agree again. It's a toss up as to whether or not he or Naima were my favorite. I really liked this.

Favorite: It was close, but I gotta go with James. Naima was a close second and then Pia.

Least Favorite: Tie between Haley and Stefano. Yikes and ouch.

So, in just a few hours we'll see who goes...got this in just under the wire...next week, Top Ten!

No comments:

Post a Comment