Thursday, October 29, 2009

Large White Trucks: My New Nemesis on the Road

I've been commuting for almost a year now. Over a year ago I wrote about my feelings toward Toyotas on the road. I still feel the same, but the Toyotas now have a rival for my anti-affection. They still taunt me on the road, but the vehicle that annoys me now as much, if not more, is the large white truck.

You've all seen them. And if you haven't, take a look at the photo on the left. Large. White. Truck.

These trucks are big. They are work trucks. And apparently, they are 100 times more important than the rest of us on the road. And to prove their importance, they are forced to pull within inches of my bumper when I'm driving to work. With their lights on. Which of course light up my whole car since they are four times as tall as my Honda. And then, when they can't take it anymore, because me going 71 mph in a 65 zone is just not fast enough, they whip around me and glare as they speed by.

Just go then, you freaking large white trucks of annoyance.

This trend seems to be increasing, and I'm seeing more and more of these trucks on the road. It doesn't seem to matter what time I go to work. If it's dark, they're there. Every now and then the large white truck is replaced with a large white van. They're like the younger brother of the large white truck. The one sent when the older brother is just too lazy to get up and go. They're go-getters. And sometimes even more annoying than the trucks themselves.

And oh yeah, they almost all only have one driver yet they are fully entitled to drive in the carpool lane by themselves. Oh that I could have that much entitlement in my life. That must be spectacular.

If any of you drive one of these trucks, please take note. While I'm sure you're a lovely person, you actually aren't more important than the rest of us on the road. We aren't impressed with your, ahem, size.

Thanks so much.

2 comments:

  1. This is so totally true! They are very agressive drivers. I was driving down Almaden Expressway once when a white truck merged on and then cut across all lanes of traffic to get immediately into the left lane. 3 of us had to stomp our breaks. When I politely tapped my horn he flipped me off. Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Hating them in MD as well!

    ReplyDelete