Friday, August 28, 2009

Brazen Mall People

Since when did those kiosk mall people become so brazen?

I barely got out with my face and nails in tact last night.

I've never appreciated those kiosks in the mall. I mean, you're in a mall...get a store already. They're in the way, make the traffic flow worse, and, mostly what they sell is cheap and lame. Especially the cart people. They are clearly all on commission because they will follow you down the mall to try to suck you in. Why is this allowed?

Yesterday, I was in Valley Fair, the nice, giant mall in San Jose, and I just went to buy a few things. As usual, I had a very specific plan about the stores I wanted to visit. And as usual, I wanted to get in, and get out. And I was doing well. I was on my way out. But I went out a different exit because I was meeting a friend for dinner. Now I know why I park on the top floor and go out on the upper level typically.

I was accosted by not one, not two, but THREE brazen mall people. And two of them were pedaling the exact same thing! The first, a man, not American, who I could barely understand, came toward me holding some sort of green leaf thing which I could only assume was some sort of soap. "Try our..." I tuned him out. He kept coming.

"What you clean your face with?"

"Excuse me?"

"What do you use to clean your face?"

"Um, I don't remember the name."

"You try this!"

"Uh, no thanks," I said with a smile. I didn't want to be rude, but I didn't want to play either.

Finally. Free.

Literally 27 steps later...a young woman came toward me from a completely different kiosk with the same soapy looking green leaf. Asking me the exact same thing!

"No thanks."

She followed.

"Thanks!"

I moved faster.

Goodness. The turn to the door was in my site, and I was focused.

"Do you always wear your nails natural?" she asked as she GRABBED MY HAND!!!!

"Um, yes?" I said pulling my hand back to safety.

"Come with me for just a second."

And she pulled me around to the other side of her cart...and started to pump a bottle of polish remover to remove the clear polish on my nail. I was clearly weak from having fended off the first two pushers.

"Oh," I said. "I don't want you to remove the polish."

"But see," she replied, pointing at her nail. "It look just the same."

"I see, but I don't want you to remove the polish."

She was preparing the cotton ball and readying her attack on my nail.

"But it will look the same."

"Yeah, I just don't want you to remove the polish."

This continued for another 15 or 20 seconds when finally, I was able to free my hand from her grip.

She was defeated.


I was the winner.

And I fled the mall like my life depended on it. No wonder I don't go very often these days. Geez.

1 comment:

  1. I happened to be with my two visiting French friends at the same mall and something similar happened to us. A woman in a kiosk grabbed her hand and her business partner grabbed mine, while trying to show us how the facial cream they were selling was the answer to our "uneven" skin. My friend, immediately, in all her French accent and indignation, told her to back off, let go of her hand and loudly said that she will never buy such cheap product, since it was clear that the cream didn't work for neither one of them!! Both women were speechless, let go of our hands and retreated to their chairs. Sad to say but this is the only way to get them off you...

    ReplyDelete