Saturday, April 9, 2011

Blogging the Idols - Top 11/Top 9

Yeah, so I'm just now catching up with my DVR and watching the last TWO weeks of Idol. Clearly I already know who was evicted, but I felt like I should watch so I could be fully in the know. I'll try to be better this week, but depending on how the Stanley Cup Playoffs are scheduled...well, we'll see...

Alright, here we go...

Top 11 - The Elton John Week

First of all, don't even get me started about how someone got saved the week before...do not approve of that at all! I feel like this: if you're going to let America vote, then let the vote stand. If you want to actually judge, then judge. Stupid.

Second of all, what the HECK is up with Ryan's hair? Goodness.

I'd heard from so many people how bad this week was that I'm honestly not looking forward to it - probably why I'm just now getting to it 10 days later. I anticipate lots of fast forwarding since I'm a HUGE Elton fan and can't imagine anyone being in the vicinity of worthy...

Scotty - Country Comfort: I really just shouldn't listen to anything this kid does because I just can't stand his voice. Please go to Country Idol...wherever that is. This just continues to bother me. Do I even need to say it? Fast. Forward.

Naima - I'm Still Standing: Oh dear. No. No. No. Reggae? Really? No. Done. Definitely not sad that she got kicked off after this one. Buh bye.

Paul - Rocket Man: When I watch Paul in his little interview things I actually like him, but when he sings? I just can't get there. And what was that jacket? Goodness. I just don't like his voice but compared to the other two he's the best so far. Still, I can't listen to the whole thing. I just can't do it.

Pia - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me: Ahhh...someone I can actually listen to. She looks great and she sounds great. And I'm not fast forwarding. You go Pia.

Stefano - Tiny Dancer: I can't explain it but I just don't like it. It seems uber cheesy...like I'm watching a Vegas lounge act...and wow, I sound like Simon. I miss Simon...sorry, got distracted. Yeah, I just don't like this.

Lauren - Candle in the Wind: She just wants to be Carrie Underwood, and I don't like it. Again, why isn't this one on Country Idol? Oh dear...this is not good. I can't do it. F.F.

James - Saturday Night's Alright: I'm liking him more and more. He's not the best singer, but he's definitely got stage presence and is totally having fun. My favorite of the night so far.

Thia - Daniel: I'm sorry, but how did she get kicked off? This is a good performance! America is stupid.

Casey - Your Song: First of all, did we really need to see him getting the hair/beard trimmed? I'm already bothered and he hasn't stepped on stage. But it definitely looks better. Too bad it didn't really help the performance. He can sing, but this just seems cheesy too. Elton is not cheesy so why are all of these peeps dripping in it? Meh.

Jacob - Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word: Okay, I think I'm over Jacob. It's just too much. I'm with that producer guy...over-dramatizing is killing him. There's no question he can sing, but the performances just don't seem sincere to me. Maybe I'm cranky. I sorta feel like I'm channeling Simon this morning. Note to Jacob: go back and watch Ruben in season two. That is all.

Haley - Benny and the Jets: Ummm...what is THIS? Only Michelle Pfeiffer can sing from a piano and get away with it. This is one of my least favorite Elton songs to start with and her version isn't helping the cause. Although she was still better than some I still don't like it and I'm kicking it to the curb.

My favorite: James. Definitely. Pia a close second.

My least favorite: Ummm...everyone else? If I had to pick, I'd pick Naima. Yuck.


Top 9 - The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Week

Jacob - Man in the Mirror: I have to admire him for changing the song to do what's more honest for him, but really? "It'll be because everybody in America wasn't ready to look at themselves in the mirror." Goodness. But, he sounds and looks good. I actually feel like this performance is sincere. Much better than the prior week. MUCH.

Haley - Piece of My Heart: I'm in pain from this. It doesn't help that I can't stand Janis Joplin, so maybe she was good, but I do not like it and I do not want it.

Casey - Have You Ever Seen the Rain: Ugh. Really? Pretentious much? Wow. I seriously feel so bothered and irritated watching this. Maybe someone needs to feed me because nothing is exciting me right now. Fast Forwarded.

Lauren - Natural Woman: WHAT is she wearing? I feel like she's Diana Degarmo revisited this week. Again, she can sing, I just don't particularly like it. I think I've been watching this show too long. This is just very meh for me.

James - While My Guitar Gently Weeps: It doesn't help that I do not like this song at all, but he's okay. I think. I don't know. I feel bored.

Scotty - That's Alright Mama: "It's not gonna be the country Scotty." Really? Pretty sure he can't sing anything else. Nope. This is country. But Elvis had a bit of country in him, so I guess it matches. I still don't like it.

Pia - River Deep, Mountain High: Okay, how exactly was she kicked off? I reiterate my comment from the week before. America is STUPID. Because this is really good. So far my favorite of the night.

Stefano - When a Man Loves a Woman: Too big of a song for this kid. Sorry, but I'm seriously done with him. He can sing, but it's just too cheese for me.

Paul - Folsom Prison Blues: Okay, this might be my favorite performance of his. I don't think he was the best of the night, but I don't feel as annoyed as I usually do. It's like he finally found the right song.

My favorite: Pia. No question. Seriously, how is she no longer a contestant? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

My least favorite: Haley and Casey. YUCK. Please go away.

I feel like I want to go back and watch the early seasons of Idol and see if I'm as annoyed as I am now because I don't remember being as annoyed by the contestants as I have in the last few seasons. And so far, no one has just jumped out as my favorite like in other years (hello, Ruben? Chris Daughtry? David Cook? Kelly?). Maybe that's why I'm so bothered this season...no one is jumping out to me as my favorite so I'm not as invested. I don't know. Maybe I just miss Simon. Maybe I'm too old. Maybe I need a snack. Anyway...next week we're down to eight, so we'll see how it goes.

Until then...happy singing!



2 comments:

  1. Ok, I think you may be a little less annoyed if you did what I do. Watch JUST the performances online. Then you don't deal with Ryan or judges. People are so passionate about this show and of course I think MY opinion is the "accurate" one. HA!!!! :) I really don't like most of these kids. I think when they're in Hollywood week they show who they really are and then American Idol over produces them, makes them second guess themselves and adds ATROCIOUS back ground vocalists too boot!!!! WHY DO I WATCH THIS STUPID SHOW?????? ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness. I fast forward through ALL the Ryan and judge parts. I'd kill myself if I had to watch any of that.

    And yes, it's WAY overproduced and all the theme weeks make me wanna punch someone.

    ReplyDelete