Tuesday, November 23, 2010

When I think of home...


Home is where the heart is.

There's no place like home.

Home sweet home.

Someone asked me today if I was going home for Thanksgiving and I told her no, that I was staying here. But then I got to thinking about it later in the day and realized that this IS home. I don't have another home to go to. I go to visit my parents, but neither of them live in the house, or even the town, I grew up in.

So then I started to wonder when it is that you stop "going home" and start just "visiting" your parents/family. It's probably different for everyone, but it seems like it happens when you really feel settled in whatever place it is that you live or when your parents no longer live in the house/town you grew up in.

I guess for me, it's both. My dad left my home town of Laramie several years ago and my mom hasn't lived there for years. Going to visit either of them doesn't mean going home. It means going to their new houses in Colorado. Every day when I leave work I say that I'm going home. Clearly, that's my home here in California; the one I pay rent for; the one where all my stuff is; and the one I can't imagine moving from.

This...is home.

What does home mean to you? Is it where you live? Is it where you grew up or where your family lives? Thinking about all of this reminded me of two of my all-time favorite songs...enjoy them below and let me know what home means to you...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!



5 comments:

  1. Portland has been my home for years and I can't even imagine living anywhere else. Laramie's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
    I'm not sure when it happened, but it was quite a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really couldn't pay me enough to live in Laramie again...I totally get that. I have another friend in Portland but I've never been up there. She loves it though...I'll have to visit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some places definitely seem more like home but for me home is where I have friends. In this way, home changes from a location to relationships. You are always welcome in our home wherever it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely agree about where friends are being home...it's definitely more about people.

    As long as there's still a Chick-fil-A near your house, I'm there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home is where my books and my dogs are. I was the only kid to leave the home area when I went into the Air Force. Being in both the military and ministry its hard to call any loation home. It's even hard to call relationships home because they change. My God, the written word and warm furry bodies.

    ReplyDelete