Sunday, November 30, 2008

Clubhouses, Secret Knocks and Cherry-Flavored Pez

Ya know, when you're home sick, you watch a lot of TV, a lot of movies and well, a lot of everything. Well, at least I do...and I've been home for the better part of the last 5 days. Thankfully, I'm feeling better, but am still lounging through most of this Sunday afternoon.

I have watched more cheesy holiday movies than I care to count this week, but have also caught a few classics and actually went to a movie on Friday evening.

I watched one of my favorites earlier today, Stand by Me. Classic. I loved the story when I read it in high school and get sucked into it every time it's on TV. It always makes me a little sad thinking that River Phoenix would have been one of our greatest actors but like so many others, he died way too young...living an out-of-control life.

Do kids still hang out like the Stand by Me kids today? And have clubhouses and secret knocks and cherry-flavored Pez? I never had any of those things...mostly I played by myself, or with one friend at a time. And occasionally with my imaginary friends. To this day, I'm more comfortable hanging out with just one or two friends (real, not imaginary) as opposed to a group of people.

Yes. I had two imaginary friends. Kathy and Ritney. Ritney had a motorcycle. We played tennis and random other games...I mainly remember the tennis. My dad had imaginary friends too, as did my aunt. It's typically an only child thing, but I think my aunt still had hers after my mom came along. I remember Kathy and Ritney in San Antonio, and remember them moving to Laramie with us. I'm not sure when they left, but they've been gone a very long time. The main thing I remember is playing tennis with them in Laramie. Well, truth be told, I actually ran a tennis school that they belonged to and we played in the backyard. Wow. I haven't played tennis for years! I guess that ended when I started playing racquetball...haven't played that for years either. I need to get out more...

Okay, this post has really been all over the place today...guess that's where my brain's been the last few days. Hope you had a lovely holiday, whatever you did. I better get back to resting so I can focus tomorrow at work. See ya next time!

2 comments:

  1. So I bet you that had you taken enough NyQuil when you were sick you could have seen your old pals Kathy and Ritney again. That would have been awesome!!! Maybe next time. Glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo, i hadn't thought about that...very intriguing...

    ReplyDelete